Annals of African Medicine

: 2014  |  Volume : 13  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 21--24

Refractive errors in presbyopic patients in Kano, Nigeria

Abdu Lawan1, Eme Okpo2, Ebisike Philips2 
1 Department of Ophthalmology, Bayero University Kano, Bayero University, Kano, Nigeria
2 Department of Ophthalmology, Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital, Kano, Nigeria

Correspondence Address:
Abdu Lawan
Department of Ophthalmology, Bayero University Kano

Background: The study is a retrospective review of the pattern of refractive errors in presbyopic patients seen in the eye clinic from January to December, 2009. Patients and Methods: The clinic refraction register was used to retrieve the case folders of all patients refracted during the review period. Information extracted includes patient«SQ»s age, sex, and types of refractive error. Unaided and pin hole visual acuity was done with Snellen«SQ»s or «DQ»E«DQ» Charts and near vision with Jaeger«SQ»s chart in English or Hausa. All patients had basic eye examination and streak retinoscopy at two third meter working distance. The final subjective refractive correction given to the patients was used to categorize the type of refractive error. Results: There were 5893 patients, 1584 had refractive error and 644 were presbyopic. There were 289 males and 355 females (M:F= 1:1.2). Presbyopia accounted for 10.9% of clinic attendance and 40% of patients with refractive error. Presbyopia was seen in 17%, the remaining 83% required distance correction; astigmatism was seen in 41%, hypermetropia 29%, myopia 9% and aphakia 4%. Refractive error was commoner in females than males and the relationship was statistically significant (P-value = 0.017; P < 0.05 considered significant). Conclusion: Presbyopia is common and most of the patients had other refractive errors. Full refraction is advised for all patients.

How to cite this article:
Lawan A, Okpo E, Philips E. Refractive errors in presbyopic patients in Kano, Nigeria.Ann Afr Med 2014;13:21-24

How to cite this URL:
Lawan A, Okpo E, Philips E. Refractive errors in presbyopic patients in Kano, Nigeria. Ann Afr Med [serial online] 2014 [cited 2020 Nov 23 ];13:21-24
Available from:;year=2014;volume=13;issue=1;spage=21;epage=24;aulast=Lawan;type=0