Annals of African Medicine
Home About AAM Editorial board Ahead of print Current Issue Archives Instructions Subscribe Contact us Search Login 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2017  |  Volume : 16  |  Issue : 3  |  Page : 141-144

Overview of extremity musculoskeletal neoplasms at the Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital Zaria, Nigeria


Department of Traumatic and Orthopedic Surgery, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria

Correspondence Address:
Maitama Mohammed Inuwa
Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital, PMB 06 Shika, Zaria
Nigeria
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/aam.aam_5_17

Rights and Permissions

Background: The burden of managing patients with musculoskeletal neoplasms in the West African sub-region is quite significant. This is largely due to late presentation, delay in making diagnosis, and failure of obtaining consent to certain surgical procedures. Improvements in diagnosis and treatment over the years have however increased life and limb survival for many patients. This study was aimed at evaluating the clinicopathologic pattern of neoplasm as it affects the upper and lower limbs with a view to determining the most common types, the most involved sites of the body and the age at presentation of these tumors. Materials and Methods: A total of 65 patients with histologically confirmed neoplasm of the upper and lower limbs arising from bone, cartilage, skeletal muscle, synovium, and tendon sheath were retrospectively selected 7 years from January 2008 to 2015. Results: Forty-one (63.1%) patients were males, whereas 24 (36.9%) were females. Age range is between 5 and 75 years, average of 30.8 years. Lower limb involvement was recorded in 40 (61.5%) patients, with remaining 25 (38.5%) patients in upper limbs. 28 (43.1%) patients had benign lesion, whereas 37 (56.9%) were malignant. Giant cell tumor (GCT) was the most frequent benign tumor (50%) while osteogenic sarcomas top the list on the malignant variety (32.4%). The most commonly affected bones were tibia, carpal-metacarpal, and femur in that order. Conclusion: In our center, GCT and osteogenic sarcoma are the most frequently encountered benign and malignant musculoskeletal extremity neoplasms, respectively, with the tibial bone being most commonly affected.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed2510    
    Printed49    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded15    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal