Annals of African Medicine
Home About AAM Editorial board Ahead of print Current Issue Archives Instructions Subscribe Contact us Search Login 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2014  |  Volume : 13  |  Issue : 4  |  Page : 179-183

Tubal abnormalities in patients with intrauterine adhesion: Evaluation using hysterosalpingography


Department of Radiology, Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria

Correspondence Address:
Balogun Babajide Olawale
Department of Radiology, Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja, Lagos, P.O. Box 17438, Ikeja
Nigeria
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/1596-3519.142288

Rights and Permissions

Background: Intrauterine adhesion (IUA) represents scar tissue inside the uterine cavity. Many patients may experience recurrent miscarriages, menstrual dysfunction, and may also be unable to achieve pregnancy. Tubal abnormalities are a significant cause of infertility in women. Hysterosalpingography (HSG) is a useful screening test for the evaluation of the uterine cavity and provides information relating to the assessment of tubal morphology and patency. Materials and Methods: The HSG radiographs of 92 patients with intrauterine adhesions, between November 2008 and October 2011, in the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, were assessed and analyzed for tubal abnormality. Results: Out of the 92 patients studied, 12 (13.04%) were diagnosed with primary infertility, while the rest of the 80 (86.96%) were referred for secondary infertility. The age range of the patients was between 27 and 42 years, with a mean age of 34.58 ± SD years. The mean infertile period of all the study subjects was 5.78 ± SD years. The prevalence of tubal abnormalities demonstrated in the study was 67.39%. Sixty-six (71.73%) patients presented with minor adhesions, while 26 (28.27%) patients presented with moderate adhesions. Conclusion : The prevalence of tubal abnormalities demonstrated in patients with intrauterine adhesion was 67.39%.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed3535    
    Printed70    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded11    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal